Apply For Membership
- Review the online application form carefully before you begin. It will be easier if you have all the necessary information before starting the process. At the bottom of the application, you have the option to “Save and Continue Later” if you are interrupted or need more time.
- Your completed application will be reviewed and verified by our Membership Team. Once a decision is made, you will be notified. The length of time between submission and a decision by our team will depend on how complete your application is.
- If you have any questions after submitting your application, please send an email to [email protected].
NOTE: Membership dues are waived at this time. This may change in the future, but we will let you know ahead of time.
NOTE: Membership does not expire. If you were ever accepted as a Member, you still are one, and you do not need to re-apply.
NOTE: Hook a Brother up! If you know of a qualified Marine who is not a Member who may not have access to the internet and/or email, please send an email to [email protected] with the individual’s name, phone number, and a little bit of background information. We will get in touch and fill out the application on their behalf.
MOST IMPORTANTLY, if your email address changes and you do not update it with us, we no longer have the ability to maintain normal communication with you! "Unsubscribing" from SSA emails has the same effect! Do not "unsubscribe" unless you are trying to disassociate yourself from SSA!
The following is an excerpt from the USMC Scout Sniper Association bylaws, "Article III Membership":
Section 3-1.1 Regular Membership.
Regular membership shall be open to those who served, or are still serving, in the United States Marine Corps or Marine Corps Reserve, AND
- who honorably served for at least one (1) year in any United States Marine Corps Sniper or Scout Sniper unit, element, or billet OR
- who successfully completed the formal course of instruction for Recon Sniper or MARSOF Advanced Sniper (MASC) OR
- who have been assigned the USMC Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) designation of 8541 or 0317.
Those Marines who served honorably in a USMC Scout Sniper unit, element or billet while in combat, but who served for less than one (1) year due to wounds received in combat, are deemed eligible for Regular membership.
Those Marines who served honorably in a USMC Scout Sniper unit, element or billet while in combat, but whose total time in that unit was for less than one (1) year, are eligible for Regular Membership upon the recommendation of at least one (1) Regular Member of the USMCSSA who served with them on that deployment.
Section 3-1.2 Associate Membership.
Associate membership shall be open to those Marines who served in roles that support the Scout Sniper community; Members of other branches of the US Armed Forces who graduated from formal USMC Scout Sniper MOS-producing schools; Members of allied foreign militaries who graduated from formal USMC Scout Sniper MOS-producing schools; and Gold Star first-degree family members of our fallen.
Qualifying supporting roles include, but are not limited to, Commanding Officers of units employing Scout Snipers, Precision Weapons Repairmen (MOS 2112), or Individual Marines who worked on specific projects of importance to the Scout Sniper community such as sniper weapons or program development.
First-degree Gold Star family members are defined as parents (biological, step-parents and in-laws), children, spouse, and siblings of the qualifying Scout Sniper. Associate Members do NOT have voting privileges and are not eligible to serve as Association officers or on the Board of Directors. They are, however, encouraged to support the Association through volunteerism.
FOR GRADUATES OF A USMC SCOUT SNIPER SCHOOL, RECON SNIPER COURSE or MASC: Provide a copy of the graduation certificate and/or a copy of DD-214 that lists course completion in the "Military Education" section.
FOR NON-GRADUATES WHO HAVE HONORABLY SERVED AT LEAST ONE (1) YEAR IN A SCOUT SNIPER ELEMENT: Provide a combination of DD-214 and a reference from a school-trained scout sniper who is a current member of SSA and one or more of the following: Copy of Orders; Unit Roster (listing Name, Rank, Billet) on Unit Letterhead signed by the SSP Commander and/or Company Commander; Fitness Report. On a case-by-case basis, the following documentation will be considered: BIR entries, Letters of Reference from comrades with whom you served, and Other Official USMC and military documents.
THIS DOCUMENTATION IS NOT NEGOTIABLE!